The People of the Region and the Global Community Will Feel the Effects of the U.S./NATO Action for a Long Time
TERROR BOMBING OF CIVILIANS The NATO bombing was announced as necessary to stop the ethnic cleansing of Kosovo/a. Seventy-eight days of bombing killed hundreds of civilians throughout Yugoslavia. NATO "smart bombs" hit the Chinese embassy, hospitals and nursing homes and a camp of the Kosovo Liberation Army - U.S. allies. Dozens of refugees from Kosovo/a were killed on bridges and in truck convoys as they tried to escape the dual terrors of the Serbian paramilitary forces and the NATO bombs. Unexploded NATO cluster bombs and other ordinance make Kosovo one of the most dangerous places on earth.
|YOUR TAX DOLLARS PAY FOR DEATH
· The U.S. portion for 78 days of the NATO air campaign
· Stationing 7,000 U.S. troops in Kosovo/a as part of a
· During the war, Navy ships launched about 450
· Each 31-hour trip by a B-2 bomber from Missouri to
· In January, President Clinton called for the biggest
· In May, Congress passed a $15 billion emergency
WHY IS THERE ALWAYS
· Over the past 18 years the federal government has
· The U.S. is behind on its dues to the U.N. and owes
· $1.6 billion would provide Pell grants for one
· $188 million is enough to build 31 new elementary
· $1 billion would employ 13,000 teachers for 2 years.
· $1.25 billion was cut from the Food Stamp
THE BOMBING DESTROYED THE PRO-DEMOCRACY MOVEMENT Within Yugoslavia's civil society, the bombing undid nearly a decade of effort by pro-democracy and nonviolent civilian groups from all ethnic backgrounds working to ease tension and to change Yugoslavia from within. The ethnic cleansing of Albanians from Kosovo/a could have been stopped by concerted efforts at negotiation. Lacking reconciliation, Serb residents of Kosovo/a now flee their homes in fear.
THE BOMBING UNDERMINED ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT In a economically weak region, the bombing destroyed factories and undermined trade. Bombing chemical plants and oil refineries spread toxic fumes. Ongoing damage from use of depleted uranium weaons will not be known for months to come.
THE BOMBING CIRCUMVENTED UNITED NATIONS EFFORTS Globally, the blow to international law will continue to reverberate. The U.S. and NATO chose to circumvent the United Nations, knowing that many member states preferred a diplomatic solution to problems in Yugoslavia. The bombing directly violated the U.N. Charter. In the U.S., the Clinton administration ignored the War Powers Act.
the messages in today's flyer reprinted from the WAR RESISTERS LEAGUE.
They quote as some of their sources:
"Why Kosovo: How the U.S. Maintains and Expands the System of Militarism", by Carol Jahnkow and Molly MOrgan, printed in Draft Notices, newslettter of Committee Opposed to Militarism and the Draft, San Diego: email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
The Center for Strategic and Budgetary Assessments, in Washington D.C.;
and the National Priorities Project, in Northampton MA.